Sunday, October 11, 2015

My Cup Runneth Over

September 21, 2015

My journal on transfer day
We were greeted with no power in the house and no food in the cupboards. It's a good life.
Darling Family,

I can’t even describe the gratitude I am feeling. Yesterday my companion was sick so we didn’t get to proselyte and so I had time to study and reflect on my mission thus far. I literally had tears of joy flowing. How did I ever get so blessed? I am so grateful to be a representative of Jesus Christ.

Whitewashing is one big adventure. I really love it! It's like figuring out a mystery--the epitome of 1 Nephi 4:6 ("I was led by the Spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do"). Sister Mulunda is still working on her English so I am trying to help her with that. We are still trying to figure out the area a bit but I feel like we are doing the purest form of missionary work there is--working with members and following the Spirit. We are trying to find all the members and ask them for referrals and so far it's been really great! But they weren't lying when they said Copperbelt is HOT.

One member family, the Kantas, are amazing. They are one of the five original families in the Copperbelt to begin the Church. Even before they had an official group organized, they requested a senior couple to come teach some of their older children mission prep and before a branch was organized they sent three of their children on missions. Wow! They are such a powerful family. And they feed us like nothing.

We were knocking doors one day and this one woman let us teach her for only 5 minutes. She doesn't even live in Luanshya so she isn't someone we will pursue but as I asked her about her relationship with Christ she bore a very fervent, simple testimony. In that moment I realized just how amazing it is that this man of Galilee that lived 2,000 years ago continues to touch the hearts of billions, even in the bushiest part of Zambia. (Yes, Luanshya is a BUSH compared to Lusaka). I wish I could put into words how much I love the Savior. He loves on such a personal level and yet everyone feels it. I am grateful that he embarked on his own mission and left his heavenly home to sacrifice for me. The least I can do is leave my home for 18 months to make a small sacrifice for Him.

Copperbelt zone is on fire. We had zone meeting and it got me so pumped. The zone is made up of missionaries who are mostly really young on mission and then my district who are all nearing the end. It is really exciting to be around all of the greenies that have so much zeal for the work. We discussed extending baptismal invitations in the first lesson and I left the meeting ready to repent and be better. I'm grateful that repentance is a daily, hourly thing. I need to change in so many ways.

We have one investigator who we gave a baptismal date and came to church! He has been coming to church for a long time but hasn't been baptized. He is the adopted son of the Kantas. We still need to figure out what has stopped him from baptism but I feel really good about him. I have high hopes.

So basically all is well! I love life and I love being a missionary and I love whitewashing and I love my French speaking companion.

Love,

Sister Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment