Thursday, June 11, 2015

Absolute Truth

May 18, 2015

Sister Griffus and I before she went home.

Sister Frimpong and I being fools like always.


Darling Family,

It has been a lovely week in the mission field. Sister Frimpong and I continue to work hard and have a great time together. We work really well together but we also have our moments of just dancing around the kitchen like fools. This London lady is quickly becoming a dear friend.

Sister Griffus and Sister Mntungwa flew in from Blantyre and stayed the night at our flat before they went home. Time is so strange on missions. It feels like two seconds ago I was decorating their door to celebrate their one year mark and now they are home. As they arrived at the mission home it was like a blast of Malawi. I heard them chattering in Chichewa as they walked up the stairs and it made me miss Malawi a lot. Zambia is great though. I am coming to love it as well. And I truly love those two sisters—I am privileged to have served with them. 

Something I thought a lot about this week is the concept of absolute truth. One of our investigators called Andrew has been in touch with the Church and with missionaries for almost 15 years. His friend from America gave him a Book of Mormon so long ago and he accepts everything that we teach as the truth. He loves the Book of Mormon but he just cannot wrap his head around the fact that Christ’s church isn’t all of the Christian churches combined. He won’t accept that there is one truth from God. I read the talk, “Absolute Truth” by Spencer W. Kimball and it reaffirmed my testimony so much. I highly recommend reading it. No matter what you believe in this world of ever-changing values the fact is that it is only in and through the name of Christ and His power that we can come back into the Father’s presence. 

Much of our time on Wednesday was spent taking care of immigration issues. A new sister came into the mission so we took her on all of our errands and gave her a taste of the joy we have felt on our missions. Waiting in lines at immigration is not what you call the “joy” of missionary work but it is so fun to experience the traditions of each mission. The tradition with immigration is that as you leave the person in charge always buys everyone fruit from a fruit stand. Sister Skidmore (office sister) began the tradition and now we always buy fruit as we leave. 

We taught a golden guy this week called John. He hasn't attended any church for 12 years but now that he has learned about the Church he knows that he has found the truth. We taught him about temples and he was already asking when he could go. There truly are prepared people amidst the contenders and haters.

Speaking of haters, we ran into one the other day. We stopped to ask her for directions and then we introduced ourselves and at first it was a friendly conversation about Christ but it ended with, "You people don't know Christ at all. You need to stop preaching Mormon. You worship your ancestors! You don't know Christ." Lusaka is quite colorful compared to Malawi.

The one investigator that we had progressing to baptism, Joseph, was supposed to be interviewed yesterday but he didn't show up to our appointments during the week or to church. So there's that. I still have hope for him though. He loves his tiny Quad too much to turn away from the truth. 

Mostly, I am looking forward to MLC this coming week. MLC has brought some of the best moments of my entire mission and I am so excited to teach with Sister Frimpong. Also, I don't mind getting to see my Malawi seestas. 

Have a wonderful week! Do something to make someone smile!
Love,

Sister Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment