Thursday, June 11, 2015

Why Should We Remember?

June 1, 2015

We made extra nsima this week and tried frying it.

Instead of normal blandness, it is just fried blandness.


Darling Family,

It was a another good week in the field. After MLC and leadership meetings and zone conference, Sister Frimpong and I have rededicated ourselves to the work and we are excited to see miracles this month. I don't know if we will be together much longer with the transfer at the end of June so we want to do our best with the time we have.

I honestly don't have a ton to say about this week (watch this email still grow as long as it normally does). We had a sweet Lusaka Leadership council with the zone leaders, district leaders and us and basically planned zone conference. I've never had zone conference so much in the hands of them missionaries as this one. We planned together and at one point we sort of hit a wall and Elder Payne (ZL) suggested we said a kneeling prayer. There is nothing quite so special as kneeling with missionaries in prayer. It's like hallowed ground.

Zone conference was basically the same thing as MLC last week but I was amazed at how much I still learned. Again, Sister Frimpong and I got to present and I loved it. We talked about a talk by Russell M. Nelson called, "Begin With The End In Mind". The basic idea is that when you meet people or when you work with members or less actives you should envision them in white, both at baptism and in the temple. As we prepared I was praying to know what analogy or story we could share to illustrate the point and it hit me so hard to share my experience doing the women's pull at trek was I was 16. So random. I haven't thought about that in a long time. But it was obviously from the Spirit. I described the strain and the sweat and the boys on the side lines painfully watching us but the most important detail was our reaction when we arrived at the top of the hill. We didn't set our carts down and sit down for a rest but we ran as fast as we could down the hill to help the other struggling girls. We have experienced the joy and relief that temple covenants bring but others have not. It is now our time to run back down the hill and help our fellow pioneers.

We have awesome members in this ward. The ward is small but so powerful. One of my favorite members in Brother Mbambu. He is from Congo and while he was on his mission, the mission president's wife showed him a picture of one of the workers here at Mother's Without Borders. Before their mission they had gone on an expedition with MWB. He thought this girl was just amazing so the mission president helped him get a job at MWB in Lusaka and he came, learned English, dated her and now they are married with two girls and twin boys in the way. Cutest couple ever. He worked with us this week and he is just powerful.

I got to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday. Have I mentioned I really like speaking? They didn't give me any specific topic so I had to pray about it. The Spirit led me to talk about the "why" of always remember Him in the sacrament prayers. I gave multiple examples from the Book of Mormon about how He remembers us. he has "graven us upon the palms of his hands" and he takes us "one by one". After painting a picture of the premortal life, his earthly ministry, his sufferings and death, his resurrection, and how He is still personally involved in each of our lives I made it clear that we covenant to remember Him because He has done everything and still does to remember us. He cannot forget us. Oh, how I love my Savior. When missionary work gets tough I feel grateful that I get to know Him just a bit better.

As for investigators...it's a work in progress. John is still doing well but Joseph has sort of run away from us. More on them next week.

I hope you all have a blessed week!

Sister Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment